David's Recipe for Vegetarian Coffee Whitener
A passable substitute for use in coffee instead of milk or cream. It doesn't contain any legumes, either.
Milk Substitute, American
- About 90 almonds, shelled and blanched
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 coffee spoon sugar
- Put the almonds in the blender with enough of the boiling water to blend properly. This will depend on your blender.
- Blend for a few minutes on low speed.
- Add the rest of the boiling water and blend some more.
- Filter by squeezing through a piece of clean, white, cotton cloth. A shirt will work fine.
- Add the vanilla and allow the mixture to cool. The vanilla can stay there indefinitely.
- Will keep at least a few days in the refrigerator. I haven't tried freezing it.