David's Recipe for Turkey Satay
Turkey instead of chicken or beef, and lemon zest instead of lemongrass.
Main Course, or Appetizer, if you serve much less, Asian-American
- 5 lbs. turkey breast
- 50 disposable bamboo skewers
- 1 quart water for soaking skewers
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, minced fine
- 1/2 coffee spoon freshly ground coriander
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced fine
- 1/4 or more chili peppers, depending on their taste and yours
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Soak the skewers 1/2 hour or more.
- Cut the turkey breast perpendicular to the grain to produce slices about 1/2 inch thick by 1 inch wide.
- Mix the zest, coriander, and ginger into the meat slices. Allow to sit for at least 1/2 hour to absorb the tastes.
- Thread the meat slices lengthwise onto the skewers.
- Grill on the first side until the meat browns lightly, about 15 minutes, depending on the meat and the grill. Turn and brown again, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a peanut- or tehina-based dipping sauce.