David's Recipe for Teriyaki Fish
A good solution for bland fish.
Main Course, Japanese
- 5 lb fillets of cod, or other neutral-tasting fish, about 3/8" thick
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1" by 2" piece of fresh ginger, diced fine
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced fine
- 1/2 cup saki or dry white wine
- Have the fish at room temperature. Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the fish into pieces about 2" by 2".
- Make a marinade of all of the rest of the ingredients, except for the oil, and marinate the fish for 1/2 hour, mixing occasionally.
- Oil a baking pan or cookie sheet and lay the fish in a single layer.
- Broil about 6" from the heat for about 10 minutes. It is not necessary to turn. Remove from the pan and repeat until you have broiled all of the fish.
- You can make a fish sauce by broiling the remaining marinade in the same broiler for a few minutes.