David's Recipe for Tamale Pie
A lot easier to make than the recipe looks.
Main Course, Casserole, Tex-Mex
- 1 kg ground meat
- 1/4 cup olive oil for oiling the pan and for sauteing
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 3 soup spoons chili powder
- 1 small bay leaf, broken into two pieces
- 1 or more chili peppers
- 1 liter tomato juice
- 2-1/2 cups (500 grams) corn meal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 10-gram envelope baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- About 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to medium.
- Brown the meat. Set aside.
- Brown the onions lightly.
- Add back the meat. Stir in the green pepper. Saute for another minute or two.
- Stir in the chilies, corn, bay leaf, and chili powder.
- Add the tomato juice. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for a few minutes while preparing the batter.
- Mix together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Gradually mix in the water until you get a very thick batter.
- Oil a deep roasting pan and put the meat mixture into it.
- Pour the batter on top of the middle of the meat mixture and smooth the surface a little with the back of a spoon. The batter may not reach nearly the sides of the pan. Don't worry about this; it will expand in both directions as it bakes.
- Bake until the corn bread topping just starts to brown, about 40 minutes in my oven.
- Serve immediately. If you try to hold it, the topping will absorb all of the sauce.