David's Recipe for Sholeh Zard
More sugar than is good for you, and some fat, but still not nearly as bad as the original.
Dessert or Snack, Persian, Iranian
- 2-1/2 liters boiling water
- 1 kg rice
- 1 kg sugar
- 1 soup spoon bland cooking oil
- 1 gram saffron
- 1 cup rose water (Yes, that much!)
- 25 grams crushed almonds
- Preheat oven to slow-moderate.
- Soak the saffron in a little of the hot water.
- Add the remaining water to the rice. Bring again to a boil, then lower to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes in a covered pot using a heat diffuser and a low flame.
- Thoroughly mix in the sugar, oil, the saffron and its water, the rose water, and the crushed almonds.
- Put the whole pot in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top looks glossy and hard.
- Allow to cool and serve cold or at room temperature.