David's Recipe for Modern Adobo
Adobo was originally made with pork. It is now often made with whole chickens. This easy version uses chicken breasts for health reasons.
Main Course, Filipino
- 12 chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into 2 symmetrical pieces each
- A few tablespoons of olive oil for browning
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 8 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large bay leaf, broken into 2 pieces
- 1 soup spoon coarsely and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts boiling water
- Brown the chicken breast strips on both sides in the oil.
- Add the boiling water, pepper, garlic, bay leaf, vinegar, and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- May be served with white rice.