David's Recipe for Fragrant Grilled Chicken Livers
Based on a Sri Lankan recipe for chicken thighs, and can also be made with chicken breasts.
- About 40 chicken livers
- 2 large oranges
- 6 cloves
- 8 pods cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon, about 5 inches
- A few chili peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven-grill to its highest temperature.
- Squeeze the oranges. Grind the cloves, the black seeds inside the cardamom, and the cinnamon. Finely mince the chilis.
- Grill the livers for a few minutes on each side, until brown. Turn off the grill.
- Mix the orange juice and the spices. Marinate the livers in the mixture for an hour, turning occasionally.
- Once again, preheat the oven-grill to its highest temperature.
- Grill the livers on a greased baking sheet, turning once when they are browned.