David's Recipe for Cheese Omelette
A simple classic.
Breakfast or Snack, American
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch white pepper
- About 1/2 lb. mild yellow cheese, such as cheddar, diced fine
- 1 tbsp butter
- A few chopped rosemary leaves (optional)
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. allow it to heat while you prepare the rest of the ingredients, but don't allow it to start to brown.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add the water (and the rosemary, if desired), grind in the pepper, and beat a little more to mix.
- Mix in the cheese.
- When the butter is hot, pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- As the bottom of the omelette sets, use a fork, a spoon, or the edge of a spatula to gently move sections of it from the edges inward. Then tilt and turn the pan. Repeat every few minutes. This will expose the uncooked egg on top to the heat. This stage will take about 10 minutes.
- When the cheese has begun to melt even on top, use a spatula to flip one half of the omelette on top of the other, changing it from a circle to a semi-circle.
- Cover the pan, turn off the heat, and allow the omelette to cook another five minutes in the heat retained in itself and in the pan.
- Serve immediately.