David's Recipe for Cardamom Chicken
Basically a Thai recipe, modified by what I could get and by one inspired mistake. Very easy.
Main Course, Thai-American
- 2 chickens, cut up
- 2" fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 3 onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 5 or 6 fresh lemon grass leaves
- Small piece of chili pepper, minced fine
- 1/2 cup sesame oil (raw, if possible, not the expensive oriental kind made from roasted sesame)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 soup spoon nutmeg
- 4 soup spoons freshly ground cardamom
- 4 400-gram cans coconut cream
- Mix together the cumin, nutmeg, cardamom, chili, and ginger. Rub into the chicken and set aside.
- Slowly and lightly brown the onions in some of the oil. Set aside.
- Tie the lemon grass together as if it were a bouquet garni, to make it easy to remove after the cooking.
- Brown the chicken in the remaining oil.
- Reduce the heat. Mix in the onions, coconut cream, garlic, and lemon grass. Cook on a slow simmer for another 1/2 hour or more, depending on the chickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lemon grass and serve on rice.