David's Recipe for Carbonades de Boeuf
Very easy. Oddly, Escoffier gives a recipe for carbonades de boeuf à la flamande, but doesn't give a recipe for plain old carbonades de boeuf. Not classy enough?
Main Course, French
- 2 kgs cubed stewing beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 soup spoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 750 ml dry red wine
- 1 liter boiling water
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large onions, sliced into C-s
- A small handful of flour
- Brown the beef in the oil, pouring off and reserving the juices occasionally. When it is almost browned, add the pepper. Set to a slow simmer.
- Transfer the beef into a pot with the wine, water, bouquet garni, and bay leaf.
- Brown the onions over a medium flame. When they are almost sufficiently browned, thoroughly mix in the flour.
- Mix the onions into the beef and the liquid.
- Simmer until done, which may be a long time, depending on the beef used. 3 to 5 hours is a good guess. Towards the end, add the salt.
- Serve with rice or some medium-sized pasta such as farfalle.