David's Recipe for Bubele
These giant pancakes are eaten by Polish Jews on Passover and the rest of the year. Makes 2 bubbelech, a snack for 6 people.
Breakfast or Snack, Jewish
- 10 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups matzo meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar for the batter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon for the batter
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp sugar for serving
- 2 tsp cinnamon for serving
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat the yolks.
- Put the oil in the pan and heat on a high flame.
- Add the matzo meal, the salt, the sugar, the cinnamon, the wine, the water and the yolks to the whites. Mix lightly.
- If you have a large pan and a lot of practice flipping large heavy pancakes, you can make this all at once. Otherwise, it's better to divide into 2 batches.
- Put the batter in the pan and reduce the flame to medium. Let cook until browned underneath, about 3 minutes.
- Flip with a spatula and cook about 3 minutes on the other side.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and cinnamon. If you're not serving individual portions, divide into squares or rectangles to serve.