David's Recipe for Baked Cranberry Chicken
Very easy. Once again, if you want to see how my recipes develop, you can compare this one to its source at http://www.cranberry.ca/recipesallup.html .
Main Course, Very American
- 2 medium roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 250-gm bag dried sugared cranberries
- 6 soup spoons olive oil, divided into 2
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 750-gm jar hot ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 soup spoons vinegar
- 2 coffee spoons dry mustard
- Preheat your oven's grill.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer on a slightly oiled walled baking sheet. Grill until lightly browned on both sides, turning once. In my half-dead oven, this takes about 20 minutes for the first side and 10 minutes for the second side.
- In a frying pan, lightly brown the onions on a medium-high flame.
- Thoroughly stir in the mustard powder.
- Stir in the hot ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and cranberries. Simmer on a very low flame until the chicken in the oven is lightly browned.
- Lower the oven to medium.
- Spoon half of the sauce over the chicken pieces. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces and spoon the remaining over them. Bake for about another 10 minutes, or until the usual fork/juice test shows that they are done.
- If you want to, you can dilute the pan juices and the fallen cranberries - no relation to fallen angels - with some boiling water to the desired thickness and serve this sauce with the chicken.